I do this focaccia in my Bosch Food Processor 'cause it makes it so easy, fool proof and there is no mess! Use the dough accessory for mixing and kneading; it's just that simple! Because the work is done by the food processor, I make this all the time! You can top it with sauteed onions prior to baking for a tasty treat! It makes great sandwiches too; you can toast the focaccia or not depending on the type of sandwich! There are thousands of variations to fit your mood! I use this same dough for pizza but I double the salt for the dough and make four small thin crust pizzas with this amount of dough.
The rest of the week I'll be showing you pizzas using this recipe for the dough. So easy and fun because everyone can have thier own favorite toppings!
Ingredients for the Dough: (Basic Recipe from Antonio Carluccio's Italian Feast)
500 grams flour (I prefer to use weight measurements for this because it is more exact)
1 1/4 Teaspoon dried yeast. (the original recipe calls for 15 grams fresh yeast)
300 ml lukewarm water
1 Teaspoon ground sea salt ( original recipe calls for 10 grams sea salt)
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh hebs finely chopped. (Thyme, Rosemary and Sage or your choice)
Ingredients for the Topping:
5 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
About 1 Teaspoon Coarse Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1. Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
2. Mix all the ingredients in a food processor using the dough hook and then let it knead for about 2 minutes.
3. Place dough into a bowl, cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled. About one to one and half hours.
4. Knead the dough to get rid of bubbles and then flatten out with your hands until he dough is about 1 inch thick.
5. Top with salt and olive oil and let rise for about 1/2 hour
6. Bake in 475 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. Bread should sound hollow when tapped.