Wednesday, January 12, 2011
I’m so happy to be back after what seems like forever!
Still trying my hardest to dine well with meals centered on fresh, fresh, fresh local, whenever possible, produce. Have to admit I’m having sweet withdrawals from all the holiday treats I made and consumed! Yes I made them to give away, but I certainly managed to have more than my fair share just the same.
I’ve been experimenting with roasting root veggies and combining them with a green salad; warm and cool on one plate. Well, guess what? If you combine the right flavors and textures you have an absolutely spectacularly satisfying main dish!
After trying a few combinations I found that beets, carrots, parsnips and rutabagas roasted beautifully together.
1 large beet
1 rutabaga peeled and cut into wedges
¼ cup olive oil
1 tablespoon thyme
Salt and pepper
For the dressing
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons vinegar ( I used balsamic with dates this time)
Preheat your oven to 375.
1. Peel your root veggies and drizzle generously with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with dried thyme.
2. Generously salt and pepper then with your hands mix together so veggies are evenly coated with the seasoning and olive oil.
3. Roast; turning every 20 minutes until done; about one hour.
4. Plate your veggies and top with mixed salad greens and tomato wedges.
5. Drizzle with olive oil dressing and dust with salt and pepper