For some reason I’ve been feeling like it should be vacation time; maybe it’s the warm weather? Unfortunately the reality is this is not, nor will it be anytime soon, the moment for a vacation!
I had picked up some lovely cherry tomatoes, red and green peppers, limes and cucumbers at the farmers market that were sitting in my veggie basket waiting…suddenly I thought; what about salsa! A Caribbean inspired salsa! At least we could eat like we were on vacation…….
So I popped up to the market and picked up a few fresh shrimp, scallops and fresh white corn tortillas. I really don’t think tortillas are Caribbean but I wanted a base for the shrimp, scallops and salsa; something with a bit of crunch and the fresh tortillas were calling to me!Here’s the finished product which my husband declared really good and a keeper recipe.
Caribbean Shrimp & Scallops with Yellow and Red Pepper Lime Salsa
4 Fresh 6 inch White Corn Tortillas
1 Tablespoon + ¼ Teaspoon Jerk Seasoning
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
½ Yellow Pepper (finely chopped)
½ Red Pepper (finely chopped)
1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes (quartered)
¼ Cup Cucumber (finely chopped)
4 Green Onions (finely chopped)
16 Shrimp (peeled and deveined)
16 Scallops of medium size
Salt & Pepper
1. Mix together yellow Pepper, red pepper, green onions, tomatoes and cucumber.
2. Zest the limes and reserve the zest for the finished dish.
3. Juice one lime and mix into the vegetables then sprinkle with salt and pepper; mix again.
4. Juice the second lime into a small bowl; add the jerk seasoning, shrimp and scallops.
5. Brush tortilla with olive oil and sprinkle with the ¼ teaspoon jerk seasoning.
6. Grill the tortillas on high heat until golden browned and slightly crispy.
7. Grill the shrimp and scallops on high heat just until cooked through; do not overcook!
8. Place one tortilla on a plate, put one scoop of the salsa in the center of the tortilla.
9. Arrange 4 shrimp and 4 scallops in a circle around the salsa.
10. Sprinkle a bit of the zest on top of the salsa and serve.
Unfortunately, with two kids in university, this is about as close as we are going to get to a Caribbean vacation for quite a while!
At least we’ll always have Caribbean Shrimp & Scallops with Yellow and Red Pepper Lime Salsa!