Yahoo, my KitchenAid Mixer arrived! Her name is Stella
I’ve been without one since we moved back to the States and finally decided to treat myself! I found a refurbished unit at a considerable discount so that was a huge part of deciding to splurge!
My exploring burgers and seeking ways to make them delicious and unique had to go on hold for just a bit. You see, my new mixer demanded to be used and not for burgers! She sent out cake vibes, orange cake vibes to be specific. Wanting her to settle well in to her new home I naturally obliged and went through all of my recipes. Luckily there was one for an orange cake with orange cream cheese and pecan frosting.
So we spent the next few hours bonding. Bonding over the batter, bonding over the frosting and bonding while I cleaned up. Now we are fast friends, practically inseparable!
Without further ado, I’d like to introduce you to Stella’s Orange Cake with Orange Pecan Cream Cheese Frosting!
2 ¾ cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
3 eggs, at room temperature
2 tablespoons orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon orange juice
3/4 teaspoon orange zest
1/4 teaspoon orange extract
5 cups confectioners' sugar
½ cup finely chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease and flour two 9" round pans, or spray with baking spray.
2. In a large bowl combine cake flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
3. Mix in butter, buttermilk, eggs, orange zest, vanilla, and orange extract.
4. Beat with mixer on medium-high speed for 3 minutes.
5. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
6. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to cooling racks; cool completely before frosting.
7. For the frosting, cream together the cream cheese, orange juice, orange zest, and orange extract.
8. Gradually add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth and creamy
9. Frost cake and top with pecans