A few weeks ago I was invited by my good friend and resident Sarasota Food Expert, Judi Gallagher to a wine pairing dinner at Flemings Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar. It was absolutely a perfect evening filled with fun, laughter, lots of chatter and naturally, incredible wines and N outstanding meal prepared by none other than Charles Flint, Chef Partner of Flemings!
Chef Charles took time out from his busy Friday evening kitchen duties to visit us all at the end of the evening and I couldn’t resist asking him ( yes it really was pushy of me) how to make the delightful cold spinach and goat cheese soup he served with the first course. Chef Charles is such a gentleman! He gladly shared a quick how to including his secret ingredient, which I never would have figured out myself!
I couldn’t wait to try making it at home for Filippo now I’m super excited to be able to share my version with all of you!
Chilled Spinach & Prosecco Soup
4 Yukon gold potatoes peeled and chopped
3 leeks white part only cleaned and chopped
2 T olive oil
32 ounces vegetable or chicken broth
1 bay leaf
2 t salt
1 t pepper
8 oz fresh baby spinach
8 oz fresh goat cheese
1 C Prosecco
1. Saute leeks and potatoes in olive oil for 5 minutes or until leeks are tender
2. Add bay leaf, stock salt and pepper
3. Bring to a boil and reduce heat so soup just simmers for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender
4. Remove from heat, add the goat cheese and stir until cheese is incorporated and let cool
5. Add the spinach and blend with immersion blender
6. Chill soup for 24 hours
7. Add the Prosecco and stir until incorporated