My dear friend Silvianne has been a vegetarian her entire life. She admits to being in her fifties and has never tasted meat, fish or chicken! Whenever Silvianne and her husband were invited to dinner I made something special befitting her dietary requirements and named every dish after her; hence the name Lasagna Silvia. But the uniqueness of this lasagna does not end there! The ‘lasagna noodles’ are actually strips of thinly sliced zucchini and tomato sauce has been replaced with Organic Creamy Tomato Soup.
The delicate flavors of lightly sautéed portabella mushrooms, zucchini noodles and chopped spinach are complimented and enhanced by the refined natural flavor of the Creamy Tomato Soup. Together they create a little bit of heaven called Lasagna Silvia.
1 medium sweet onion finely chopped
4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
8 ounces portabella mushroom sliced
2 tablespoons butter
16 ounces frozen spinach thawed and drained well
30 ounces ricotta cheese
2 cups mozzarella cheese
½ cup grated parmesan
1 quart Pacific Natural Foods Organic Creamy Tomato Soup
1. Pre heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Coat a 9X12 Lasagna pan with non stick spray
3. Drain ricotta cheese in a sieve while preparing onions and mushrooms.
4. On medium heat, sauté onion on in 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil until translucent; about 10 minutes. Transfer to large mixing bowl.
5. In a large frying pan over medium/high heat sauté portabella mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil until softened; about 5 minutes. Add to the onions.
6. Beat the two eggs and mix with the ricotta cheese.
7. Mix the ricotta egg mixture into, onions and mushrooms and then the well drained spinach.
8. Thinly slice 3 zucchini lengthwise to create noodles.
9. Cover the bottom of the lasagna pan with 1/4th of the Pacific Natural Foods Organic Creamy Tomato Soup.
10. Place a layer of zucchini noodles in the lasagna pan, slightly overlapping them.
11. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta, mushroom, spinach mixture across the zucchini.
12. Sprinkle with 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese.
13. Repeat the layers two more times.
14. Top with the tomato soup and sprinkle the last of the mozzarella across the lasagna.
15. Finish by topping the lasagna with the parmesan cheese; you will have a 2 cheese top.
16. Coat aluminum foil with non stick spray and cover the lasagna to keep the cheese from getting too dark.
17. Bake for 1 hour, then uncover and bake for 15 minutes more.
18. Let lasagna rest for 15 to 20 minutes prior to serving.