To get everyone in the mood I thought I'd share two sweet treats that just sing out July Fourth!
First up: Adults Only Iced Lollies
Take 1 1/4 cups of lemonade and add 1/4 cup key lime juice and 1/2 cup vodka
Fill Lolly holders with blueberries 1/3 full
Pour the lemonade over until 1/2 full
Drop in fresh Raspberries
Fill to top w with lemonade mix
Freeze and enjoy!
Yes that's all there is to it but these little treats are an absolute delight!
Now on to something wonderful for children of all ages!
Red Strawberries, white cake and the deep blue of blueberries just shout out USA to me; that’s why I named it Patriot cake! You’ll find this colorful dessert one of the easiest cakes you will ever make. If your family is not big on lemon, omit the juice and zest and replace it with 1 teaspoon vanilla or even almond extract! No time to make the coulis? Don’t worry, a bit of chocolate syrup is delightful also!
Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 45 minutes Serves 6
1 ½ Cups Self Rising Flour
¼ Teaspoon Salt
6 Tablespoons Butter
¾ Cups Sugar
1 Teaspoon Lemon Extract (almond extract can also be used but then delete the lemon zest)
Zest from ½ lemon
2 Tablespoons cream
1 Pint Strawberries (washed, hulled and cut in half)
½ Pint Fresh Blueberries
Vanilla Ice Cream for topping
Strawberry Coulis for topping
1. Pre-Heat oven to 350
2. Beat together butter, sugar, eggs, lemon zest and extract and cream.
3. Combine flour and salt.
4. Gently add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, do not over mix.
5. Spread into a 9 inch spring form pan coated with non stick spray.
6. Press strawberries around the outside of the pan in a circular pattern and a few in the center. Fill remaining area with blueberries.
7. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
8. Cool 15-20 minutes and transfer to serving platter.
9. Slice & serve with remaining berries, vanilla ice cream and strawberry coulis.
Fruit Coulis is not usually cooked so this one is definitely far outside of the traditional. But it is extremely flavorful and will keep in the fridge for up to a week; if it isn’t used up when your family first tastes it! I also forgo the usual sugar and flavor the fruit with just a bit of lemon juice, lemon zest and balsamic vinegar.
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes
1 Pint Strawberries, hulled and cut in half
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
1 Teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan over medium/low heat.
2. Cook until the berries a very soft and the berry juices have reduced by half.
3. Pour berry mixture into a strainer resting over a bowl.
4. Using the back of a ladle press the berry mixture around in the strainer until all the juices have gone through the strainer in to the bowl.
5. Chill and serve over the Patriot Cake.